Fashion faux pas or sartorial elegance?

I know you’re out there you ultra-liberal fashion critics. I hear your comments on how snobby GW has become, and what a shame it is. But let’s get serious; there’s more to campus style than dark jeans and a matching jean jacket with a Harve Chapelier sac or a Prada bag. As one of the harshest judges of today’s fashion, I have to say that I’m impressed with the current situation. Think about it: imagine being on one of those traditional campus colleges where everyone thinks the latest Abercrombie khaki pant is the coolest trend and looks forward all day to wearing them to that nights pong fest.

Do not criticize the tight black pants; I know all you guys love them. Do not roll your eyes when a girl tries to ensure that the intoxicated guy standing next to her doesn’t spill his beer on her special bag. Be glad that the women on this campus don’t think that not showering for three days and wearing hiking boots is sexy. Instead, we have class and style; individuals are proud of their personal presentation and appreciate good taste and fine quality.

Now I’m going to clue in some of you poor souls out there who try so hard to stay even with the high rollers of the fashion ladder. I’m talking about those of you who insist on spending $400 on the smallest model Prada bag just for the sake of having one. The key to style is imagination and the willingness to seek out a good deal.

Listen to me very carefully – Chinatown. I am aware that many of you experienced and cultured shoppers are already tuned into this secret, but for those of you who still sell your souls for the perfect bag, stop. It’s absurd and embarrassing. In addition to Chinatown there are numerous great stores in the New York area that will save you from spending your life savings.

But listen, if you have the cash and you love the bag, by all means buy it. Aesthetically speaking, who wouldn’t want to look at a beautiful ostrich skin Prada bag, a classic Louis Vuiton or a J.P.Tod’s?

I hope all of you understand what I’m trying to say. I by no means am lecturing you on your spending habits because I of all people enjoy the finer things in life. This is advice simply for the sake of enlightenment and to help you make thoughtful decisions. Know that you always have options.

As for all of you independents of the fashion world who refuse to put a label on your vintage jeans and classic shirt, I applaud your efforts. I must admit it’s hard deciding what cute, trendy item to put on in the morning, but it takes much greater effort to find the perfect blend of old classic and fun carefree. So stick with it, and know that most of what your fashion genre wears is the future of all trends. In the end, there’s no escape from the evolution of the fashion industry.