Sports briefs

Gencsoy, First battle Notre Dame opponents

The GW women’s tennis team played competitively over the weekend at an eight-team tournament at the University of Maryland, which featured No. 15 Notre Dame University. GW’s Nazli Gencsoy and Lindy First each took their Notre Dame opponents to three sets, but neither could pull out a victory. First lost in the quarterfinals of the Singles B draw while Gencsoy lost to a talented Lindsay Green in the first round of the A draw.

To have our top two players (Gencsoy and First) take Notre Dame to three sets is a very good sign, head coach Jeanne Gengler-Swiacki said.

Women’s soccer drops fifth straight contest

The GW women’s soccer team lost its fifth-straight game Sunday in a 2-0 loss at Virginia Tech. The loss drops the struggling Colonials to 1-7 this season. The host Hokies scored their goals in the tenth and 18th minutes and extended GW’s scoreless streak to three matches. The Colonials will open Atlantic 10 play Friday at Temple, where they will begin a new season with a 0-0 record.

-Zach Leibowitz

Men’s water polo loses on road

The GW men’s water polo team fell to 3-9 Sunday, after dropping four matches on the road. The Colonials lost 13-9 to Johns Hopkins University Friday and then traveled to Bucknell University where GW lost 14-6 and 17-7 to the United States Naval Academy and Princeton University, respectively. Facing host Bucknell Sunday, GW did not fare any better as the Colonials lost 15-4.

We were out-played in every aspect of the game, head coach Scott Reed said. We had flashes of good team unity, but we lack the experience to keep it consistent.

The team looks to re-focus for Wednesday’s match against Johns Hopkins at the Smith Center.

-Meghan Reardon