GW will throw Inaugural Ball

The glitz, glamour, taffeta and silk that can only adorn Washington D.C. during inauguration season will descend upon GW Jan. 20, when the University will host its own Inaugural Ball.

The Inaugural Ball will bring the GW community together for a night of food and entertainment to celebrate the Inauguration of the 43rd president of the United States, University officials said.

Special Events officials said the popularity of the two Inaugural Balls GW has hosted prompted the University to throw another one.

It was a very popular event four years ago, said Jim Hess, director of the Division of University Special Events.

Four years ago the Inaugural Ball was a memorable evening of music, dancing, face painting, impersonators and food for many people, said Peter Konwerski, associate director of the Marvin Center.

The whole building was alive, he said.

About 3,000 people attended the ball, which took up several floors in the Marvin Center, Konwerski said.

There was a lot of interaction and the Marvin Center was wall-to-wall of people, Konwerski said.

The 2001 Inaugural Ball will not be held in the Marvin Center because of construction and renovations, and the University is looking for a prime location for the event, Hess said. Event planners do not know whether it will be held on campus or not, Hess said.

Konwerski said the event will be too big for the Marvin Center.

Marvin Center officials said the University must wait until after the Nov. 7 presidential elections to reserve a location because the Republican and Democratic parties have reserved all of the space around the city.

I think the ideal location is one large ballroom, Hess said.

Whether it’s on or off campus, Hess said he expects January’s Inaugural Ball to be as big or bigger than it was four years ago.

We’d love to do as much or more than last time, Hess said.

For entertainment there will be a top-notch band that people can dance to, Hess said.

Hess also said that many congressional members attended GW’s ball, and he said he expects to see a lot of political faces at the event.

The Inaugural Ball will be open to all students, faculty and guests. Ticket prices have not been determined.

It was the event that students remember most, Konwerski said. It is once in a GW lifetime.