Foggy Bottom Guide – City protects historical area

The Foggy Bottom Historic District has survived the continual growth of Washington D.C. and stands today as a reminder of the past in a city that constantly looks to the future.

The neighborhood, which dates back to the mid-19th century, was originally home to industrial workers who wanted to live close to factories in the District. Many poor European immigrants were employed at companies like Washington Gas and Light, Godey’s lime kilns, and the Abner/Drury Christian Heurich breweries.

The neighborhood received the nickname Foggy Bottom because fog over the Potomac River and swamps that filled the area mixed with smog from the industrial plants.

Now known for high-profile buildings like the Watergate Complex and the State Department, Foggy Bottom’s older, more quaint spots present a picture of the area’s industrial past and small beginnings.

Officially recognized as a historic district in 1986 by the D.C. Historic Preservation Review Board, the Foggy Bottom area includes all the land between New Hampshire Ave., 24th, 26th, H and K streets. The area contains about 135 buildings built between 1860 and 1915. While a number of communities have debated whether their homes should receive historical status, the Foggy Bottom area had almost unanimous support for the designation, Review Board architect David Maloney said.

Residents living in a historical district must adhere to a number of restrictions on alterations they can make to their homes. Residents must receive permission from the Preservation Board to make external changes to their homes, like painting a house a new color or making structural additions.

The rules ensure that the area will maintain its century-old looks and continue to attract tourists as well as future homebuyers, historic preservation officials said.

Freshman Laura Green said she agrees with the purpose of the rules.

Living next to all the old homes gives you a sense of the history of Foggy Bottom because it all looks preserved, she said. It’s one of the great parts of going to school here.

A number of individual buildings on campus also hold historical significance, including Lisner Auditorium, Corcoran Hall and Strong Hall. The Alumni House on the corner of 21st and F streets is a historical home built in 1853. While the University purchased the property in 1930 during one of GW’s expansions, the building still contains a number of its original features, including the roof, window frames and Italianate Fa?ade, according the National Park Service Web site.

The D.C. Preservation League, a private, non-profit group that seeks to maintain the historical landmarks of the city, informs the Preservation Board about landmarks that need historical protection.

The group prints a list of the Top 10 Most Endangered Places annually and lobbies the board at meetings to extend D.C. districts to include additional buildings.

Near GW, the Stevens and Grant Schools are both significant landmarks and need to be given historical status, league administrator Jerry Maronek said.

GW students would recognize Grant School as the School Without Walls on G St. between 22nd and 21st streets. It was built in the early 1900’s as a school for inner-city youth, and the structure is significant to African-American history, Maronek said.

If the building receives historical protection, the School Without Walls building may become eligible for federal funding and may increase in property value. No matter the monetary benefits, the historical standing still accords protection to important parts of the city’s past, Maronek said.

Students said Foggy Bottom’s historical atmosphere offers something they cannot get at home.

Being from Florida where everything is relatively new, it’s a totally new experience to live here where history seem so accessible, it gives you a better sense of how old the nation is and what it has been through, sophomore Caterina Bummara said.