Regulations allow for fair Greek-letter rush recruitment

Most GW students would think it is ridiculous to tell a woman going through sorority recruitment that she is not allowed to talk to a member of a sorority on the street.

But, according to Panhellenic rules for the recruitment period, this is a violation, said Tracie Anzaldi, director of Greek Affairs.

The myriad regulations that go along with Greek-letter recruitment for both fraternities and sororities on campus might seem complicated, but they are there to ensure fair recruiting, Anzadi said.

We want everyone to have a good recruitment, she said.

No fraternities or sororities have been charged with violations for this semester’s rush yet, Anzaldi said Sunday night. Interfraternity Council President Jay Levin said no violations had been reported by Saturday night.

Anzaldi said she believes Greek-letter life is a great enhancement to campus life and the GW community as a whole, and the regulations are necessary.

Eric Holland, vice-president of rush for the Inter-Fraternity Council, the fraternity governing board, and Madeline LePage, president of the Panhellenic Association, said the most common rush violation is when chapter members illegally interact with recruits before or during recruitment period, which lasts throughout the week.

Anzaldi said giving anything to a potential new sorority member outside a rush event could be misconstrued as a promise of a bid, and would therefore be seen as an infraction of the rules.

Sorority members are not allowed to talk to recruits outside a rush event, and fraternity members are restricted from criticizing other fraternities in front of recruits.

LePage said the rules prevent chapter members from badmouthing other chapters or a chapter member.

Members themselves should speak for the fraternity, Holland said. Recruits should not learn through hearsay.

Fraternities and sororities do not share many recruitment standards and rules, as sorority recruitment is a much more regulated process.

The main difference between the two groups is that Panhellenic rules do not allow for as much informal interaction.

The Panhellenic Association dictates that recruits must have a GPA of 2.5 and no men and alcohol are allowed at events, LePaige said.

While fraternities are allowed a relative amount of leeway when it comes to their rush schedule and the events they choose to have, they are still expected to abide by the recruitment rules set by both the IFC and the national chapters of each fraternity, Holland said.

Fraternities are not allowed to hold parties before rush begins, which includes parties during any of the Colonial Inauguration sessions, Holland said.

Fraternities must release their schedule of rush events at the same time, and alcohol is prohibited at rush events.

Penalties for infractions vary since they are decided on a case-by-case basis, Holland said.

LePage said the Panhellenic Association has what it calls suggested sanctions. A constructive penalty or an official reprimand is given to a sorority for minor recruitment violations like giving gifts, going over the allotted budget, using improper decorations or keeping recruits for too long at a rush party.

More severe violations such as bid-promising or failing to observe the contact rules can result in suspension of a sorority’s social privileges like mixers or formals, Anzaldi said.

Serious fraternity violations can result in the revocation of recruitment privileges.

The IFC serves as the watchdog for violations at rush events.

Holland said members of the IFC Executive Board make rounds to make sure perspective members are safe.