GW out-manned against Patriots

George Mason’s Eduardo Lima scored on a penalty kick in the 110th minute to give the visiting Patriots a controversial 3-2 double-overtime victory over the Colonials Wednesday afternoon at South Riding Field.

Lima’s kick resulted from a GW foul in the penalty area after a Colonials turnover. George Mason was able to apply constant pressure in overtime because of a two-man advantage that occurred after GW’s Ricardo Forno picked up his second yellow card, resulting in an ejection and suspension from the team’s next game. Forno’s second caution came on a hard tackle in the 104th minute. GW (3-2-1) played down one man since the 59th minute when Jason Evans was called for his second yellow card.

The Patriots struck first with both teams evenly manned in the 11th minute, when Brian Blackburn scored an unassisted goal. The lead was shortlived, however, when Forno fed junior Jason Holloway for a goal from point-blank range eight minutes later.

George Mason regained the lead shortly after Evans’ ejection when Keith Makai scored to make it 2-1. But Forno came through for the Colonials, assisting on his second goal of the day when he passed to Matthew Osborne, who drilled a 40-yard kick past George Mason goalkeeper Rick Gaskin.

The Colonials will get back on the field Saturday afternoon when they take on Georgia Southern University.

-Jason Lipschultz contributed to this report.