HOVA pool leaks again

Some Hall on Virginia Avenue residents have seen more than their share of water since the school year began.

The carpeting in an eighth floor room was replaced last week after a filter on the pump of the rooftop swimming pool leaked, said Vania Smith, HOVA’s community director.

Michael Peller, the managing director for Property Management and Real Estate, said the carpet was replaced because of damage caused by a leak earlier in the semester.

The HOVA staff found the leak and drained the pool before it caused any more problems, Peller said.

Eighth-floor resident Laurie Weinert said her ceiling has been leaking since the beginning of the semester.

All of the contents of her room had to be removed to replace the carpet, Weinert said.

A carpet on a lower floor of the building was also replaced last week after water from condensation leaked from an air conditioner, Smith said. That problem was taken care of that day it was discovered, she said.

This is not the first time HOVA has had water seepage problems.

Fourteen residents were temporarily moved out of their rooms last September after the building’s pool leaked onto the eighth floor.

Smith said the new leak is absolutely not related to last year’s leak, which she said was indirectly caused by Hurricane Floyd.

-Suzi Myers