GW opens home season with a win

Any critics claiming that the current loss of GW captain Michael Goldman will hamper the men’s soccer team were proven wrong Tuesday when the Colonials opened their home season with a 1-0 victory over St. Francis College (N.Y.) at South Riding Field. GW’s victory improved its record to 3-1, while the visiting Terriers fell to 2-2.

Without Goldman, who will have exploratory knee surgery and will be out for an unspecified amount of time, the members of the team said there was a different approach entering the game.

We felt different as a team with huddles and during pre-game, sophomore Riccardo Forno said. But everyone played as normal.

And GW’s performance was good enough for a hard-earned win. Midfielder Matt Pilkington scored his second game-winning goal in just as many games off an assist from Fabio Andrade at the 30-minute mark for the game’s only goal.

Pilkington, who scored his team-leading third goal of the season, skillfully avoided St. Francis’ diving goalkeeper Marcus Maurice as he dumped the ball in the goal. GW played aggressively throughout the competition, putting 18 shots on goal – seven from Pilkington.

Head Coach George Lidster said he was generally pleased with his team’s performance and remains confident in his players, with or without the injured Goldman. He specifically mentioned the strong play of freshman midfielder Sean Ross, a recruit from Trinidad. As for GW’s home contest with Monmouth University Saturday afternoon, Lidster said his team is still adjusting to the loss of Goldman.

We’re taking (the season) one game at a time. Lidster said.