Cypress Hill rocks GW

GW students and staff took to the Quad Saturday afternoon to eat free food, grab giveaways and watch rap group Cypress Hill perform its classic hip-hop hits. Program Board’s annual Fall Fest was – by most student accounts – a success.

About 3,500 students drifted from cotton candy and snow cone stands to an inflatable boxing ring and jousting area to a stand where they could make wax molds of their hand, organizers said.

It’s a great diversion from school work, graduate student Torrey Stifel said.

Three opening bands – Boogiehawg, 9 Stories Up and Burglar – entertained the crowd in the early afternoon. But most audience members were awaiting the highlight of the six-hour event – Cypress Hill’s 4 p.m. performance. That group drew an estimated 2,000 students to the Quad and prompted the formation of a mosh pit in front of the stage.

Playing well-known songs like Hits from the Bong, Insane in the Membrane and Rock Superstar, the band performed for more than an hour.

It’s a good time, Cypress Hill was huge, said junior Rob Hodge, who spent the day barbecuing with other members of Sigma Nu fraternity. A yearly tradition, the fraternity members cooked hot dogs, hamburgers and chicken for students all afternoon.

Program Board members were also excited about the festivities.

This is GW student tuition at work, said Seth Weinert, PB executive chair. This is the biggest Fall Fest in years with more food and activities than ever, and we’ve had a wonderful turnout.

Allure magazine parked a company truck in the middle of the Quad. The truck, which visits concerts nationwide, offered complimentary magazines and free sessions with professional D.C. make-up, hair and nail artists for students willing to brave the heat, humidity and long lines.

I’m very pleased with the way things turned out, said Ian Zeitzer, PB parties committee chair. Many of the new activities had lines all day, the event drew a great crowd as we eventually ran out of food meaning more than 3,000 students passed through the Quad.

Tower Records and Web-based delivery company Kozmo.com hosted booths with contests and prizes.

The event also featured NASCAR simulator race cars and another virtual reality ride – Omega – that was a four-person roller coaster simulator.

It’s the best event I’ve seen during my time at GW and many other students would say the same thing, Weinert said.

Administrators and students said they enjoyed the event and were glad the weather cooperated with all of the planned activities.

Fall Fest is a great way of getting all the students together and building community, senior Sarah Bakker said. It’s nice to see campus spirit, especially in the beginning of the school year.