Starting off fresh

Members of the class of 2004, by now you may have realized that you have a countless number of opportunities at GW. If you have not, you will now. Freshmen are the driving force of this fine University. You are the ones with a fresh, new perspective. You have the opportunity to bring to this community something that has yet to be discovered.

How can I do this? you ask. Last year, we both had a unique opportunity to get an early start in our involvement at GW. Christian involved himself in the Residence Hall Association and Class Council 2003, of which he is now president. Through the Emerging Leaders Program, a program offered through the LEAD Center, he established his class organization. Joe applied for a position to fill a freshman seat in the Student Association Senate, and last spring he was elected to a Columbian School Senate seat. He currently serves as the chairman of the Student Life Committee.

One thing we both learned is that you must take the initiative to get involved. The opportunities are not going to find you. Through persistent efforts and dedication to a cause, you can shape your future here at GW. Whether it be in your class council or as a freshman senator, through involvement in RHA, College Republicans, College Democrats, the Program Board or writing for The Hatchet or The Cherry Tree, opportunities exist for you to make your mark on GW.

Our area of interest is student government, particularly the SA and class councils. If you are interested in better serving the GW community through these organizations, please feel free to come see us in the Marvin Center. Enjoy your freshman year, and don’t let these opportunities pass you by. We look forward to meeting each and every one of you.-Cristian Berle is president of Class Council 2003 and Joe Ardito is a Student Association senator