New director joins CADE

Saturday nights are not just for drinking.

That is what new manager Brian Hamluk and his staff at GW’s Center for Alcohol and other Drug Education are trying to prove.

We want to show students how to party the right way, and how to make responsible choices, he said.

The center hosted Triple Play, a drug and alcohol-free three days of activities last weekend, and has many more events planned for the year, Hamluk said.

Hamluk said the center will work closely with existing organizations at GW to lend our support to their activities. CADE plans events with the Student Activities Center, he said.

Hamluk came to GW from Syracuse University in New York, where he worked in residence life and received a master’s degree in cultural foundations of education.

The push to encourage responsible choices among students comes at a time when drinking statistics are on the rise at GW and around the country.

Drinking violations at GW have more than doubled in the past two years, and drug use has also increased, Hamluk said.

Abuse of alcohol and other drugs is a serious problem at several universities, he said.

Yearly totals of drinking violations rose dramically – from 153 to 465 – from 1998 to last year. Drug law violations also increased about 8.5 percent – from 39 to 46 – in the past year, according to University Police Department statistics that are printed in the student handbook.

These statistics include all on-campus, off-campus and public property violations.

In last few years drug and alcohol abuses have had so much publicity, almost every university is making a conscious effort (to keep its campus safe), Hamluk said.

At least one member of a student organization must be familiar with the laws regarding drinking on campus. The member must try to prevent any offenses from occurring and be willing to report any that do, Hamluk said.

GW’s policy on drinking states that no one younger than 21 can consume or be in the presence of alcohol. There are also several policies regarding students 21 and older, as well as sanctioned activities involving drinking.

All drinking policies are in the student handbook.

Although students may report drug and alcohol abuse to CADE, the center does not give punishments. CADE is simply a walk-in resource for students, Hamluk said.

CADE is meant to be a less threatening institution than Student Judicial Services.

The center’s purpose is to offer students education, support, and to make referrals for clinical help if necessary. Students are assisted on a case-by-case basis.

The name really says it best, Hamluk said. Education is our main goal.