GW falls to Hoyas on penalty kick

The GW men’s soccer team lost a 2-1 overtime thriller in Monday’s D.C. Classic championship game played at American University’s Harbin Field. The Colonials (1-1) earned a place in the finals game against the Hoyas by soundly defeating Liberty University Saturday afternoon. GW’s Matthew Osborne scored two goals over the weekend for the Colonials. The team will travel to the Virginia Military Institute for a match Friday afternoon.

Georgetown 2, GW 1 (OT)Monday, Sept. 4

Georgetown’s Kenny Owens scored on a penalty kick in the second overtime of Monday’s D.C. Classic championship game to defeat the Colonials 2-1.

Georgetown’s (2-0) game winning goal came in the 112th minute of play.

Owens scored his first goal of the match in the 83rd minute, stunning GW and tying the game 1-1. The Colonials took a 1-0 lead in the 33rd minute when GW sophomore Fridrik Omarsson scored from about 30 yards out.

GW was outshot in the game 34-11 and committed 10 more fouls in the game (22-12). Osborne, Michael Goldman and Jeff Greenspan made the all-tournament team for GW.

GW 4, Liberty 1Saturday, Sept. 2

The men’s soccer team opened its season strong Saturday afternoon by defeating Liberty 4-1. Both the game’s final score and the Colonials’ skilled play showed a highly improved and determined GW team.

Last year, we would have lost the game 2-1, said head coach George Lidster. I’m very happy (with the game’s outcome).

From the start of the match, both teams displayed solid passing, leading to a tightly contested first 22 minutes of the first period. GW then became more aggressive, showing off a more flowing and comfortable style of play than the Colonials were used to last year.

We’re more experienced and we had much more composure on the ball, Lidster said.

On the offensive side, GW’s Matthew Osborne took advantage of a throw-in by teammate Jeff Greenspan in the 17th minute and scored the Colonial’s first goal of the season. The goal was the only one scored in the half.

The second period supplied the majority of the game’s excitement as four goals were scored. Osborne broke through the Liberty defense by beating his defender and scoring an unassisted goal in the 59th minute to give the Colonials some breathing room. But less than a minute later with GW leading 2-0, the Colonials temporarily lost focus defensively and gave up a well-placed goal headed in by Liberty’s Jose Gomez.

Refusing to lose their lead, GW responded impressively, scoring two goals (Matt Pilkington, Kirk Lewis) in the 79th and 80th minutes to seal up the 4-1 victory.-Zach Leibowitz contributed to this report.