GW fails to score, falls prey to Tigers

The GW women’s soccer team once again failed to score as they fell 6-0 to the Princeton Tigers at Lourie-Love field Sunday. The Colonials (0-2) have not scored in 2000 and scored only 16 goals all last season.

Princeton sophomore Heather Deerin began the scoring with a penalty kick in the eighth minute. The penalty, which came on an unintentional hand ball, was disputable according to first-year Head Coach Tanya Vogel.

I’m not going to say it was a bad call, Vogel said. But a referee for the most part will let that go.

Princeton freshman Theresa Sherry scored two more first-half goals for the Tigers and assisted on the final goal of the game in the 82nd minute. Ahead 3-0 at halftime, Princeton (1-0) continued its attack on GW scoring in the 55th minute and then finished off the Colonials with two goals in a 56-second span in the final 10 minutes.

(GW) never gave up, Vogel said. It takes a lot of pride to keep playing when it’s 6-0. Look at this team. We’re young, we have young coaches. Everything we do is a learning experience.

The Princeton offense out-shot GW 30-4 and the Tigers defense did not allow the Colonials a corner kick in the contest. On a bright note for GW, freshman goalkeeper Christine O’Malley made 13 saves for the Colonials.

GW takes the field once again at the University of Maryland-Baltimore County Friday afternoon and will be joined by two walk-on freshmen, midfielder Tessa Moehlmann and goalkeeper Jamie Olson.

The cool thing is that our goal is to get better in every training session and in every game, and we did that, Vogel said. We’re starting to see where we need to be to be successful in the NCAA. This is not a setback.