Soccer will face Liberty

The GW men’s soccer team looks to build upon last year’s frustrating finish of 3-12-2 with the aid of more seasoned and experienced players.

Last year we had a lot of inexperience on the field, sophomore midfielder Riccardo Forno said.

GW has been hard at work for several weeks practicing for its season, which begins Saturday at noon against Liberty University at American. Depending on the outcome, GW will face either American or Georgetown Monday. Saturday’s game could set the tone for the rest of the season.

We’re real excited, Forno said.

Team members said they look for excellent fan support and the natural excitement of opening day to lead them to victory. After practicing almost every morning from 9 a.m. to noon, the team is eager to get the season underway and leave last season behind.

Seven of the team’s 11 starters were incoming freshman last year, providing veteran coach George Lidster (13th season) with a notable challenge. The Colonials scored nine goals in their first three games last year, but only managed eight after that. They were outscored 31-17.

Our inexperience naturally was reflected in our record, Forno said.

GW showed aggressive play in several of their matches last season, posting only 18 fewer goal shot attempts (224-206) than their opponents. And the Colonials return their top-scorer Jason Holloway (13 points) and midfielder Michael Goldman (seven assists).

This season, GW is aiming for a top-four finish in the Atlantic 10 conference. To do so, this year’s sophomores plan to use their experience from last year to build an all-around more focused and determined team.

We’re going to set the foundation for the years to come (for the team), Forno said.

Additional expected highlights for the season include the match against Rhode Island, last year’s A-10 champions, set for Oct. 13.

They’re our main competition, Forno said.

The team also looks toward a big season since next year they will have their own field, currently being constructed at the Mount Vernon Campus.

We’re really looking forward to it, Forno said.