Staff editorial — Shady player?

The GW men’s basketball team once again finds itself in the public eye, but not for any on-court accomplishments. Instead, allegations of sexual assault have surfaced against Atilla Cosby, a transfer who practiced with the team but would not be able to play until spring 2001 because of NCAA rules. Prompting the charges was an alleged incident that took place in Cosby’s Guthridge Hall room in the early hours May 15.

The accusations are extremely troubling. According to a Metropolitan Police affidavit, Cosby forced a 46-year-old woman at gunpoint to engage in oral sex then violated her with a wooden broom handle. But perhaps equally disturbing is Cosby’s history prior to attending GW. Expelled from DeMatha High School in Hyattsville, Maryland, for disciplinary problems, Cosby left the University of Pittsburgh after assaulting an assistant basketball coach, according to The Washington Post.

Rumors run rampant concerning the troubled backgrounds of many basketball players, but often little of the gossip can be confirmed. Cosby certainly harbors a past that could indicate a pattern of nefarious behavior. In general, the athletic department recruits outstanding individuals to represent the University. However, if these allegations prove true, then perhaps the University erred in bringing Cosby to Foggy Bottom.

The accusations levied against Cosby are grave, but a court has not yet found him guilty. Yes, Cosby was videotaped entering and leaving the building with the woman in the manner she described. And yes, his GWorld access records match the timestamps on the videotape. But only two people know exactly what happened in Cosby’s room.

Regardless of the outcome of the case, the University must question the prudence of recruiting athletes with such dubious pasts. Athletes represent the University on and off the court. When an athlete commits acts such as those Cosby stands accused of, the University and everyone associated with it suffers the consequences.