News Briefs

Au Bon Pain closed for health violations

Au Bon Pain, at 2000 Pennsylvania Ave. NW, was shut down for Health Code Violations May 4, according to an article in The Washington Post.

The store was closed on May 4 at 3 p.m. until May 5 at 11:50 a.m. for emergency repairs and restorations, said Brian Stone, general manager of the 2000 Pennsylvania Ave. location of Au Bon Pain.

The Post reported that the store failed the inspection for unclean food contact surfaces and equipment, basic inadequate sanitation, evidence of mice inside premises and improper storage of food products.

Stone said that the information regarding mice was not included in the inspector’s report.

Health department officials frequently inspect establishments and arrive unannounced.

After passing its re-inspection, the store reopened the next morning.

-Jason Steinhardt

Professor publishes book on science and culture

Kerric Harvey, GW associate professor of media and public affairs, published her book Eden Online: Re-Inventing Humanity in a Technological Universe this month. The book is part of the political communication collection in the Hampton Press Communication Series.

The book discusses the changing relationship between culture, history and media technology, with a focus on identifying and analyzing themes and patterns regarding how humans use technology, according to a GW press release issued May 3.

This is Harvey’s fourth book.

Under the Clinton administration, Harvey was appointed as one of 33 faculty chosen from a nationwide pool to work with the National Science Foundation to develop an anthropological research agenda for the 21st century.

Harvey joined the University in 1991 and was formerly the program director of GW’s electronic media program.

-Sarah Lechner

GW grad students to present sociology papers

GW’s Sociology Department will be represented by two graduate students at the 50th anniversary meeting of the Society for the Study of Social Problems, August 11-13. The central theme for this year’s conference, which will be held in Washington, D.C., is Inventing Social Justice: Society for the Study of Social Problems and the 21st Century.

First-year graduate student Maisha Meminger will be presenting her paper, Single Mothering in the Ghetto: The Creation of Social Networks and Shared Culture Amongst Poor African American Mothers, a part of the program’s roundtable on race and diversity.

During the Family Division section of the conference, Judie Ahn, a second-year student in GW’s graduate sociology program, will discuss her paper, Infant Day Care: The Meaning to Day Care Staff.

This is an unusual phenomenon in our department, said Phyllis Langton, professor emeritus, GW Department of Sociology. It’s extremely rare to have one (master’s) student present at the conference, let alone two.

-Kate Stepan