GW sets wins record with weekend sweep

The red-hot GW men’s baseball team entered its final three-game series against host Duquesne needing one win to break the school’s record for most wins in a single season. And with this weekend’s dominating sweep of the host Dukes at Duquesne field, the Colonials did just that breaking the 1998 team’s total of 33 wins.

The Colonials (36-19, 16-5 Atlantic 10) will take their seven-game winning streak into the four-team, double-elimination A-10 Tournament beginning Thursday in Boyertown, Pa., where they will face A-10 East Division champion St. Bonaventure. GW swept the season series 3-0 with the Bonnies.

Despite the team’s record-breaking season, the Colonials finished the season tied with Virginia Tech for first place in the A-10 West. Virginia Tech (31-23-2, 16-5 A-10) was awarded its second straight A-10 West title because of its head-to-head record against the Colonials.

The Hokies defeated host GW two games to one, including a 7-6 thriller in the rubber match on March 26. The Hokies clinched the division Sunday by hitting a game winning three-run home run in the top of the ninth to complete their sweep of LaSalle.

GW received strong pitching performances against the Dukes from starters Adam Belicic, Chris Worth and freshman Greg Conden. The starting pitchers shut down Duquesne as they went a combined 19 innings giving up only two earned runs. The Colonials offense led by Matt Walker (5-for-12, six runs scored) and Mike Bassett (6-for-9, five runs scored) hammered Duquesne’s pitching for 27 runs and 33 hits.

GW 2, Duquesne 1
Sunday, May 14

The Colonials finished the regular season the way they did most of their games this season – with a win. The team’s 2-1 victory over Duquesne (22-33, 10-11 A-10) completed the weekend sweep and earned Conden (9-1) his ninth win of the season. The Colonials scored single runs in the first and sixth innings and that was all Conden would need. Conden struck out nine over seven innings giving up one run on seven hits. GW’s Bryan Beggs pitched two scoreless innings in relief of Conden to earn his fifth save of the season.

GW 10, Duquesne 4
GW 15, Duquesne 1
Saturday, May 13

Both teams brought their bats to the second game of Saturday’s doubleheader as GW and Duquesne each scored three runs in the first inning. But, while the Dukes struggled against Worth (7-6) after the opening frame, the Colonials continued to pour on the offense scoring six times in the sixth inning en route to a 10-4 victory. Walker (3-for-4) hit two home runs in the game and designated hitter Belicic blasted his fourth long ball of the season for GW.

In the series opener, GW overwhelmed Duquesne15-1 scoring at least two runs in five different innings. The Colonials pounded 15 hits over the seven-inning game led by junior Dan Rouhier’s perfect day at the plate (4-for-4, four RBIs). Walker and Bassett each scored three runs in support of Belicic (9-4), who gave up one unearned run in six innings pitched.

GW 4, Maryland 2
Tuesday, May 9

Tuesday’s 4-2 victory over local rival Maryland gave the visiting Colonials their 33rd win tying a school record for most wins in a season. Conden scattered four hits over six innings and did not allow a run as the freshman pitcher earned his eighth win of the season.

Matt Krimmel’s aggressive base running and Maryland’s poor defense helped GW break a fifth-inning scoreless tie. Krimmel stole second base and ran to third when the catcher’s throw went into centerfield. The GW junior scored on the play when the center fielder threw the ball away trying to nail Krimmel at third.

With two outs, freshman Jake Wald singled home a run in the sixth inning to make the score 2-0. Wald was then picked off first base but avoided the tag long enough to allow Tony Dokoupil to score from third. Dokoupil had reached base on a walk two batters before.

The Colonials final run came in the eighth inning when Dokoupil singled home Walker. The Terrapins provided a little drama in the ninth scoring two runs off Beggs. Maryland had the bases loaded with no outs, but the GW defense held on for the two-run victory.