Sigma Chi leases house to fraternity

GW’s Lambda Chi Alpha chapter signed a three-year lease for a house owned by former GW chapter Sigma Chi, the fraternities announced Wednesday.

Sigma Chi’s alumni-house corporation, the Epsilon Housing Trust, leased house and property on 2004 G St. to Lambda Chi Alpha for three years with the option to extend the agreement for an additional two years, said Joe Ura, president of Lamda Chi Alpha.

The lease will begin June 1, according to a press release issued by the fraternities.

The whole intent of this is that the alumni of Sigma Chi want to keep (the house) out to fraternity brothers and the Lambda Chi fraternity here on campus is the best one to lease it to, said Sigma Chi president Fred Wininger.

According to the press release, Lamda Chi Alpha had agreed to maintain an alcohol-free living environment.

Sigma Chi’s national organization removed the charter of its GW chapter after numerous complaints were filed by the University, including complaints of a hazing incident last semester. GW’s Lambda Chi Alpha chapter does not own a house.

Everyone is really happy (with the lease), Ura said. It is unfortunate what happened to Sigma Chi, but we’re glad that we could help them out.

Ura said the Lambda Chi Alpha members do not know the specifics of the agreement. Alumni members will travel to GW to talk to the brothers about the agreement, he said.

Active members of the fraternity have not been a part of (the lease agreement) for the most part, Ura said. Right now we’re just guessing.

Paul Ainsworth, alumni president of Lambda Chi Alpha, was unavailable for comment.

Ura said he has had conversations with members of Sigma Chi, who said they plan on trying to regain University recognition in a few years. Ura speculated their hopeful return might be the reason for the short-term lease.

Wininger said his fraternity’s charter is suspended until all active members currently on campus graduate, for roughly three to five years, at which time they may return to campus.

The Sigma Chi brothers will live alone and still maintain their brotherhood, they just won’t live in their house, said Wininger. This won’t have any direct effect on them other than they won’t live in the house.