GW wins with 10 late runs

In the top of the seventh inning against non-conference opponent George Mason Tuesday, sophomore Matt Krimmel stepped up hitless for the game. The GW baseball team (32-19, 13-5 Atlantic 10) was hitless against George Mason’s Todd Simo. Krimmel singled and GW broke out of its slump, scoring three runs that inning, and seven more on the day. They beat host George Mason 10-6 at Hap Spuhler Field.

Krimmel didn’t even score after the hit. He was thrown out at third on a fielder’s choice hit by senior Matt Walker. But, with Walker on second, sophomore Mike Bassett blasted a two-run homerun to right center, his 10th of the season.

The offense was awake. Junior Dan Rouhier singled to left and freshman Tony Dokoupil walked. Then junior Eric Mitchell walked.

With the bases loaded and two outs, Jake Wald singled and two runs scored. GW was winning 4-3. Finally, after Travis Crowder was hit by a pitch, and the bases were loaded, senior Ryan Dacey walked, scoring Mitchell.

GW freshman pitcher Greg Conden (7-1) allowed five runs on five hits over six innings and did not figure in the decision. The final two runs were charged to him in the seventh inning after the Colonials held the lead.

Pitching with a one run lead going into the bottom of the inning, Conden gave up a double to George Mason’s Scott Yeager and then walked Derek Morrison. Coach Tom Walter replaced Conden with Bryan Beggs, who struggled early, allowing a bases-loaded double. Three runs scored.

Beggs finished the game strong and earned the win.

GW caught a few breaks in the top of the eighth. On a pitcher’s error, Walker reached first and on a passed ball he reached second. Then the pitcher balked during Bassett’s at bat and Walker took third. Rouhier singled and Walker scored.

With an 8-6 lead in the ninth, senior Ryan Dacey singled and Walker homered to left center, his 10th of the season. The Colonials finished the game with eight hits and two errors.

Walker was named A-10 Player of the Week for the second time Monday. In the series against Xavier he was 9-for-12 with two homeruns.

The Colonials will host Mount Saint Mary’s at Barcroft Park Thursday with the opportunity to tie the GW record for wins in the spring.