Sports Briefs

Water polo finishes 10th at Easterns

The women’s water polo team opened play at the Eastern Championships Saturday with a 14-6 loss to Harvard University. The Colonials then dropped a 7-6 overtime loss to Queens College.

Sunday, they topped Iona College 7-3. GW then lost 8-7 to Bucknell University, finishing 10th out of the 12 teams.

Very tough losses, Coach Scott Reed said. We should have been about fifth or sixth.

Despite the disappointing finish, women’s water polo can hang its hat on an impressive inaugural season.

It was a very successful year, Reed said. We definitely exceeded a lot of people’s expectations. We just have to make sure we’re not satisfied with just making it to the Eastern Championships. Next year, we want to do better.

Water polo players make all-conference

GW women’s water polo players Heather Walenga and Ashley Pika were named this week to the Mid-Atlantic All-Conference team by the Collegiate Water Polo Association.

Walenga leads GW with 49 goals, 27 assists and 50 steals. Pyka is the third-leading scorer with 39 goals to go with her 10 assists and 44 steals.

Congressionals fall again

The Washington Congressionals of the United States Basketball League fell again Thursday night at the Smith Center, this time to the Brooklyn Kings in overtime, 92-90. The team in now 0-2 in Foggy Bottom.

-David Holt

Golf ties for fifth place

The GW golf team tied Lehigh University for fifth place at the 10-team Scotty Duncan Memorial at Hog Neck Golf Club on Maryland’s Eastern Shore. GW’s Thomas Blankvoort finished in a fifth place tie out of 50 golfers shooting an eight-over-par 152 (78-74). He was only three strokes off the pace.

-Zach Leibowitz