Pitches host final concert with two new groups

The Pitches’ audience clapped, grooved and sang along to their pop a cappella performance Saturday night in the Dorothy Marvin Betts Theatre.

The all-female singing group was joined by GW choral groups the Vibes and the Hippotones for its final concert of the year. The Pitches gave a farewell to graduating seniors who founded the all-female group four years ago.

I’m really excited that the Pitches have continued this long, said junior Larissa Davis, who sings and is in charge of the group’s bookings.

The show opened with It’s Raining Men and You Gotta Be in its first set. In the second set, the Pitches returned to the stage with Like A Prayer and a Vogue medley. The group closed the show with Son of a Preacher Man and Girls Just Wanna Have Fun.

I like a cappella pop songs because you recognize them from the radio, but these arrangements are different, audience member Sarah Wurrey said. The Pitches are better because they have better voices than most pop singers.

The Vibes and the Hippotones sang several songs between the Pitches’ sets during their performances.

It was cool to look up and see the lighting guy grooving to our music, said freshman Vibes singer Ben Rubinger.

The Vibes, which formed in February, performed Both Hands, led by group founders Bess Paupeck and Alissa Roeder. Mike Kasow soloed for Just Like Heaven.

Will Stewart formed the all-male Hippotones three months ago.

The group’s performance included You are My Sunshine and almost-synchronized dance moves with Old Time Religion, In the Still of the Night and the Lion Sleeps Tonight.

The group improvised dances to break the tension, junior Shaun Jayachandran said.

-Courtney Calvin