It’s official, Dacey’s a hit

Infielder Ryan Dacey has been the anchor for this season’s GW baseball team. In fact, he has been an anchor throughout his Colonial career. An honorable mention on Coach Tom Walter’s All-Century team, Dacey’s success began in his freshman season.

Though Dacey struggled in the first few months, he found consistent playing time, seeing action in all 49 games. Dacey finished his freshman season batting .341 with 57 hits and 30 runs scored. In his sophomore season, Dacey had 63 hits, 47 runs scored and 10 home runs.

Dacey was named to the second-team all-conference in his junior season, which he finished with a .371 batting average, including 83 hits and 53 runs scored.

All of those statistics contributed to his latest feat.

In the first game of Friday’s doubleheader against Xavier, Dacey became GW’s all-time hit leader (259) with an RBI-single to centerfield in the sixth inning. After the completion of the weekend series with Xavier, Dacey stands with 58 hits this season (261 overall). Dacey has already broken other GW records, including most doubles (64) and just recently surpassed Mike Welch (174) to become the school’s all-time leader in runs scored (180).

(Dacey is) one of the best athletes GW has ever seen, said head coach Tom Walter, who began his GW coaching career during Dacey’s freshman season.

With six regular season games remaining and GW (31-19, 12-5 Atlantic 10) having one of its best seasons ever, it’s no surprise that Dacey is the team leader.

Ryan leads the team by example, but he will say something to a player if something needs to be said, Walter said.

Dacey said he believes his coaches at GW have helped push him over the years and have been supportive throughout

I can’t believe how fast it has gone, Dacey said. I remember my first practice freshman year.

Dacey’s interest in baseball began when he was five years old, in his hometown of Annapolis, Md. His dad, who was also an athlete, coached Dacey through his adolescent years until he reached high school. Dacey also participated on basketball and soccer teams until he joined baseball teams that played year-round. He played shortstop growing up, until he reached high school, where he began pitching. He also played second base, third base and shortstop.

His high school team did not show the winning success that he has experienced in his college days, but it enabled him an opportunity to be scouted by GW. His high school coaches began to recognize the talent and versatility Dacey displayed. Dacey was the leading hitter in his sophomore, junior and senior seasons, making it no surprise that he was a four-year varsity member and a two-time all-county first team member.

It was not too long before Dacey’s talents were recognized at the collegiate level. GW’s former head coach, Jay Murphy, visited Dacey’s high school – Annapolis Senior High School – and instantly picked out Dacey’s talents and recruited him to play for the Colonials.

I was really nervous, Dacey said I knew that I would have to prove myself all over again.

Dacey’s baseball aspirations will not stop when he graduates from GW. He hopes to be drafted in June.

I just want to get a shot, Dacey said.

As his college career winds down, with exciting opportunities awaiting him, Dacey is merely stepping into the batter’s box. According to Walter, Dacey will get the next big hit of his career.

Ryan is a complete player, a good baserunner, a hitter and a defensive player, Walter said. He does everything well. Next year, at this time, I will see him playing at a professional level.