News Brief

Muslims consider ethics of cloning

Muslims should never shy away from challenging their minds and studying new scientific discoveries even though cloning of humans is not permitted in Islamic culture, an Islamic doctor told students Tuesday night.

A stagnant mind will not accept scientific discoveries at all, said Dr. Ilham Altalib, a research doctor at the Internal Institute of Islamic thought. We have to be open-minded . the main part in our Koran is that God wants us to learn, to see, to seek knowledge and to not be against science.

Speaking at an event of the American Islamic Medical Association, she said people should be informed about the scientific background and the religious background of an issue before they take a firm stance.

Altalib, who has given lectures at GW and other universities, said a balance must be struck between accepting certain aspects of science while remaining faithful to the religious teachings of the Islamic faith. With cloning, this balance is achieved by accepting the cloning of animals, plants and certain parts of humans, such as the skin.

Whatever is done to help a human being live better is allowed, she said.

Altalib said part of the reason cloning of humans is not permitted in Islam is because of the special individuality Allah honors each human with at creation.

Humans can create something from something, but only God can create something from nothing, she said. And even if you can clone the body of a human, can you clone the identity?

Liane Chinwalla, president of the American Islamic Medical Association, said this event was the last lecture in a series of lectures this semester. All the lectures centered on bio-ethical issues and the Islamic perspective. Previous topics included abortion, euthanasia and organ donation.

-Theresa Crapanzano