Crusty conservatives are bad sports

The GW College Republicans are right (GW Republicans rejected at ceremony, Monday, April 17). They should have gotten an award last week. Unfortunately for them, however, the category they would have locked up – whining – isn’t recognized at the Excellent in Student Life Awards ceremony. Their attempt at setting the record straight in The Hatchet’s last issue came off as little more than a case of bad sportsmanship. Including both self-congratulation and cries of a liberal conspiracy in their article, the CRs have proven that they are, truly, experts at bringing the Republican Party message to campus.

Being one of the many uninformed drones unable to see through the thinly hidden left-wing bias at the heart of GW — evidenced – I’m sure, by the warm welcome given the recent International Monetary Fund and World Bank protests by the student body, I would personally like to thank the College Republicans for informing us that it is they, not the apparently mindless zombies in MC 427, that can see through the liberal veil and give us the truth. What is the truth, you ask? Well, according the College Republicans, the best group on campus is none other than – better sit down for this one – the College Republicans! Whew, their non-biased objectivity is staggering, isn’t it?

The fact is, virtually all the student groups on campus – including the CRs – have brought to campus the differing viewpoints and thought-provoking speakers that turn a simple collection of classroom buildings and residence halls into a university. Many of the events that the College Republicans so graciously remind us of were, indeed, excellent and exemplary of a well-run and well-supported group. They did not go unrecognized – the packed house and presidential attention given the Bob Dole event alone should show the CRs that. The group should be proud of their accomplishments, not spiteful of others’. There are hundreds of student groups on campus, and most of them work hard all year to bring the University activities they feel it needs. Only one of them gets the award – it’s not about bias, it’s about which of the many successful groups brings the most to campus in the eyes of the nominating committee. The College Republicans should congratulate their fellow student groups on an excellent year, not just themselves.

Besides, if the Excellence in Student Life Award is as baseless as they claim, why the heck do the College Republicans want it so bad?

-The writer is a member of the College Democrats.