Sports Briefs

De Miranda drafted by USBL

Senior Francisco de Miranda (6.2 points and 4.1 rebounds per game this season) was drafted 54th in the United States Basketball League draft this week. He was the fifth-round pick of the Washington Congressionals, which will play some home games this year at the Smith Center.

De Miranda was unaware he was drafted until he was called by The Hatchet Tuesday evening. He had previously expressed a desire to play overseas next year. As for the USBL, he said Tuesday he would have to look into it before commenting.

Women’s basketball announces team awards

At the women’s basketball banquet Tuesday night at the Washington Marriott, senior guard Elisa Aguilar was named Player of the Year.

Senior guard Marlo Egleston received the Abbie Oliver Smith Award for athletic and academic excellence. It is the third straight year Egleston has won the honor.

Junior guard Corrin Reid was named Unsung Hero, senior guard Starr Jefferson was named Most Improved, junior center Leslie Carlson won the Courage Award, and freshman forward Erica Lawrence was named Newcomer of the Year.

Golfer honored

Freshman golfer Brad Friedlander was named Atlantic 10 Rookie of the Week for his performance at the GW Invitational. He shot 161 over 36 holes, which was good enough for 53rd place.-David Holt