News Briefs

Microsoft CEO to address SBPM

Steve Ballmer, president and CEO of Microsoft Corporation, is scheduled to speak in the Dorothy Marvin Betts Theatre Tuesday from 4 to 5 p.m.

He is expected to discuss his vision for the use of technology in the 21st century and how technology can improve people’s lives through education and the next generation of technology services, according to a University press release.

A graduate of Harvard University, Ballmer was appointed president and CEO of Microsoft Jan. 13 after 20 years with the company. He is also a member of the Stanford Business School Advisory Council.

Following the speech, Ballmer plans to take questions from students in the audience.

SBPM honors NASD chairman

Frank Zarb, chairman of the National Association of Securities Dealers, will receive the 18th Annual CEO of the Year Award from the School of Business and Public Management’s Alumni Association during a luncheon ceremony Friday.

As an accomplished leader in both the business and government spheres, we felt that Mr. Zarb reflected the dual role of SBPM in training managers for the public and private sectors, SBPM Alumni Association President Robert Efrus said, according to a press release.

The CEO of the Year Award was established in 1983 to honor prominent leaders in the business and public management fields.

Zarb has served as chairman and CEO of the NASD since 1997. His position is the culmination of a long and distinguished career representing both public service and work in the securities industry.

Zarb also served as Energy Czar under President Gerald Ford during the 1970s energy crisis. Other positions he served in the federal government include assistant secretary of Labor and associate director of the Office of Management and Budget. In March, he was appointed by New York Gov. George Pataki (R) to review the finances of Nassau County, Long Island, as a special adviser.

Veteran GW professor dies

Benjamin Burdetsky, professor emeritus of Personnel and Labor Relations and Public Administration, passed away last Friday.

Beginning his career at GW in 1970, Burdetsky also served with the U.S. Department of Labor for 25 years, retiring in 1977.

He then joined GW’s School of Government and Public and Business Administration, which preceded the School of Business and Public Affairs, as a professor. Burdetsky became the chairman of the department of business administration and also became associate dean in March 1984.

During his time at GW, he initiated a research institute to study labor and management roles, conducted research on management and labor leaders’ performances and sponsored conferences on related private and public policy, which was later renamed the Burdetsky Labor and Management Institute.

-Kate Stepan