GW streak ends with three losses

The GW baseball team’s nine-game winning streak came to an end this week as it lost three straight, including two at Barcroft Park, where the team had been 17-3. After dropping two close decisions Monday at St. Joseph’s and Tuesday against Towson University, the wheels fell off as the Colonials lost to James Madison 17-4 Wednesday.

We just didn’t play well, said head coach Tom Walter. We have a big weekend coming up, and hopefully we can get back on the right track.

The Colonials (24-16, 6-3 Atlantic 10) return to action Saturday with a doubleheader against Dayton at Barcroft Park at noon. The University will be running buses to these games as well as the game Sunday, which leave the Smith Center each day at 11:15 a.m.

James Madison 17, GW 4
Wednesday, April 12

The Colonials lost their third game in three days as they fell 17-4 to the Dukes, despite turning a triple play in the seventh inning.

GW trailed all game as James Madison scored once in the first and were ahead 7-0 before the Colonials got on the board in the seventh. Sophomore Mike Bassett and senior Ryan Dacey scored on a double by junior Adam Belicic, but the Colonials could add no more in the inning.

The Dukes answered with two in the eighth before putting the game out of reach with eight runs in the ninth. Dacey, who singled and scored in the seventh, moved within three runs and nine hits of the school record. Bassett, Belicic and freshman Tony Dokoupil each had two hits for the Colonials on the day.

Towson 3, GW 2
Tuesday, April 11

Senior Matt Walker’s seventh home run of the season and an RBI single by Bassett were not enough offense as GW fell 3-2 to visiting Towson.

Two solo home runs by Towson’s Casey Stidham ruined solid pitching performances by senior starter Ron Christie and freshman reliever Glen Skutnik. Christie pitched six innings, giving up six hits and two runs while striking out two. Skutnik suffered his second loss of the season despite giving up only one run on two hits over three innings. Bassett and Walker each had two hits on the afternoon for GW.

St. Joseph’s 4, Colonials 3
Monday, April 10

After the game was canceled Sunday because of inclement weather, the Colonials returned home only to find the A-10 rescheduled the game for Monday. GW returned to Philadelphia on Monday and was clearly fatigued as the Colonials fell to the Hawks 4-3.

The Colonials jumped out to an early 1-0 lead in the first as sophomore Matt Krimmel hit his fourth home run of the season. GW increased its lead to 3-0 in the fifth before St. Joe’s struck back in the sixth to cut the lead to 3-1.

In the eighth inning, Belicic was relieved by closer Bryan Beggs, who sustained his third loss of the season after giving up three runs on four hits. Belicic pitched well for the Colonials, going seven innings and giving up one run on seven hits while striking out four. The loss dropped the Colonials into third place in the A-10 West with a record of 6-3.