News Briefs

Fraternity shoe tree takes a fall

The Delta Tau Delta shoe tree, which has been mired in controversy since 1996 when GW feminists said the shoes signified every time two brothers had sex with the same woman, fell to the ground amid heavy winds Sunday morning.

Former Delta Tau Delta President Jeff Butler said the tree fell at 10:56 a.m. and was probably, at least partially, a result of construction done to the street last year. Butler said the work done to the sidewalk may have damaged the tree’s roots.

By early Sunday afternoon, Delta Tau Delta members and their friends were transferring the infamous shoes to another nearby G Street tree.

The original tree, which was located on the sidewalk directly in front of the Delta Tau Delta house, caused no damage to the house, and no one’s car was parked in the parking lot where part of the tree landed, Butler said.

Butler said the shoe tradition began in 1982 after a Delta Tau Delta brother visited New York and thought shoes hanging from utility lines looked cool. When he returned to campus, he began hanging shoes from the tree, and current members maintain the tradition.

The Delta Tau Delta brothers continue to deny the charges made by GW feminists about the meaning behind the shoes.

Do you really think we do that well (with women)? asked one brother participating in the impromptu shoe-tree festivities Sunday afternoon.

-Francesca Di Meglio

ISS holds Webmail information session

Information Support Services held a meeting in the Marvin Center Ballroom April 6 to discuss some of the problems that GWIS recently encountered and to discuss implementing a new system next year.

One of the main causes of GWIS’s recent problems is the exponential growth of demand for its services, said Dave Swartz, GW’s chief information officer of ISS.

The new system, which will be ready for use by the end of August, is a multipurpose, quicker system. ISS is changing the structure of the systems to address problems, Swartz said. Right now, GWIS has one box that controls everything. The system will be moved to a cluster in which separate boxes facilitate separate activities, such as e-mail, attachments and research. The system will also be more protected and secure than the current system.

Separate groups will be migrated at different times. Training and announcements for the new system will be held at the beginning of next year.

Five students attended the 4 p.m. meeting among the professors and administrators.

This time is very inconvenient for students, said senior Anthony Rizzuto. ISS needs to do more to reach out to one of its biggest users.

-Deepa Avula

Next Caf? Gelman will feature new GW coloring book

The Program Board does not think college students are too old to break out the Crayons and color.

At the next Caf? Gelman April 27, audience members will be able to take a study break and color with their own GW coloring book, said Jessica Love, Arts chair for PB.

This is the first coloring book ever at GW, said Love, who said she has been toying with the idea since last semester’s Caf? Gelman.

At past Caf?s, PB put white paper on the tables that students could color on, Love said. This year Love thought that a coloring book designed by students might be a new way for students to express their creativity.

While Love said she has not received any submissions so far, she said she has contacted some artists.

Love said PB is looking for 10 to 15 illustrations of traditional events at GW that students would recognize.

She suggested scenes such as GW President Stephen Joel Trachtenberg next to the Hippo, Spring Fling, Fall Fest and Bhangra Blowout for the coloring book.

Liz Allen, a graphic designer for Student and Academic Support Services Communication, is considering illustrations of Mount Vernon and Commencement for the coloring book.

It gives people something to do (at Caf? Gelman), Allen said.

PB plans to print between 200 and 300 copies of the coloring book and plans to sell extra copies for those who do not plan on attending Caf? Gelman.

-Phil Longo

GW Spring Dance Concert set for this weekend

The GW Spring Dance Concert will take place April 13-15 in the Dorothy Marvin Betts Theatre.

The concert, directed by Professor Diane DeFries, will include works created for the GW Dance Company by Gloria McLean, a former dancer with the Erick Hawkins Dance Company in New York, Russian dancer Sasha Kukin and GW students.

The concerts begin at 7:30 p.m. each night, and tickets cost $10 for general admission and $8 for students and senior citizens.

-Theresa Crapanzano