Letter to GW community regarding closures

TO: The George Washington University Community

FROM: The University Vice Presidents

DATE: April 7, 2000

From Saturday, April 15, through Monday, April 17, meetings of the World Bank and the International Monetary Fund will be taking place near our campus. As a result of these meetings, city officials expect a large number of visitors to be present in the Foggy Bottom area and anticipate disruptions of vehicular and pedestrian traffic.As a direct result of discussions with Metropolitan Police who have assessed, among other things, the impact of the World Bank/IMF meetings on traffic in the area, the University has made the decision to close from Friday, April 14 at 10 p.m. until Tuesday, April 18, at 8 a.m. This decision will minimize traffic in and around the Foggy Bottom area and enable Metropolitan Police to better control the movement of visitors in and out of meeting sites.Vice Presidents and Deans will identify the services, which must be provided during this time, and department heads for the affected units will designate employees who are necessary to provide those services. These designated employees are expected to report to work. Please note that the Medical Faculty Associates will be operating normally on Monday, April 17.All events scheduled on campus after 10 p.m. Friday, April 14 – with the exception of those at Lisner Auditorium and at the Marvin Center – are canceled or postponed. If you have questions about a particular event, please check with the appropriate venue or scheduler. In addition, access to the Marvin Center will be limited to those carrying GWorld cards, and there will be only one entrance and one exit. The Gelman Library and the Smith Center will remain open and access, as always, will require proper identification.To address our primary responsibility of protecting the safety of our students, all GW residence halls will be secured during the time of the World Bank/IMF meetings. GWorld cards will be checked at main entrances to all residence halls. The overnight guest policy for non-GW students will be suspended from Monday, April 10, until further notice. Only students with GWorld identification cards can be signed into residence halls.Beginning on Monday, April 10, we strongly urge students, faculty and staff to carry their GWorld cards with them at all times. In addition, everyone in the University community should check for any changes in the status of the University by calling our hotline 994-5050 or by checking our Web site.