GW students, staff showcase fashion and art for charity

The National Society of Collegiate Scholars entertained and educated the GW community Saturday evening at Diversion, a showcase featuring the fine art and fashion design of GW students and staff.

The show in the Marvin Center Ballroom began with the rap stylings of Time Machine, a group made up of GW senior Jason Shechtman, Eric Latham of Alexandria, Va., and DJ Taekone, a local disc jockey. Performing their original songs Block Troopin’ and Senseless, the group set the atmosphere for the evening in a unique Eminem-meets-the-Beastie Boys style.

People are influenced by what they listen to, but we take innovation very seriously, Shechtman said.

Another highlight of the show was a segment entitled Summer in Persia, which featured the fashion designs of Nikou Fadaifard. The models dazzled the crowd as they shimmied and sashayed to feverish sitar-laden beats.

Their outfits, adorned with glittering gems and glistening gauze wraps, set off the beauty of others enrobed in brightly colored satins.

Freshman Morgan Hart modeled one of Fadaifard’s designs, which consisted of cream-colored pants and a sparkling body-wrap.

At first I was nervous, but then I just relaxed and did what I had to do, she said.

Other performances included a poetry reading, a traditional Hawaiian dance and an interpretative piece entitled Deconstructing Eve.

The evening featured fashion designs such as the Messiah 7 line of T-shirts. GW special events staff member Donita Vann also displayed her fashion line, Donita’s Designs.

NSCS decided to spotlight the achievements of artists on campus because GW’s art department deserves more attention on campus, NSCS Vice President Amanda Crowell said.

That was where GW needed a boost, she said.

Proceeds from the show went to The Perry Art Center, a local art school.

Crowell works with preschool students at the Perry School, a small, non-profit community service center on M Street that runs the Perry Art Center. The center educates students from elementary to college levels in artistic and entrepreneurial skills. Members also paint murals throughout the city.

They’ll teach teens in D.C. who want to sell their art how to do that, Crowell said, adding it was a natural choice for the benefits of Diversion. We decided we wanted the money to go to a local art school. It helped them for people to hear of them, too.

Hart said she enjoyed taking part in helping a good cause.

(The Art Center’s) whole idea that they pull kids off the streets to have an art-based education is good, so I’m glad they got some money, she said.

Crowell said the group focuses on scholastic excellence and community service, with chapters on 43 different campuses nationwide. GW’s chapter was founded in 1994.

Our club hadn’t done much in the past, Crowell said. People were getting letters to join, and they didn’t know what it was. We decided to do something big that everyone at GW could enjoy.