South Asian Society members call party disorganized

An after-party for the South Asian Society’s annual Bhangra Blowout ended earlier than planned Saturday evening, amid large attendance and great confusion.

In the past, SAS has hosted all the weekend’s festivities, including the annual after-party. This year, however, the University denied an application for approval of an SAS-sponsored party planned to be held at The Element, a nightclub in the District.

Jason Anthony, coordinator for student organization management, said the Center for Alcohol and Other Drug Education denied the application because planned attendance exceeded 5,000 students and only a few of the attendees would be from GW.

As a result of the denial, SAS board members said they would concentrate their efforts on the show. Several outside promoters arranged the post-Bhangra Blowout party.

We’re really a victim of our own success, said Sonia Arora, SAS treasurer.

Attendees expressed frustration after buying tickets for $25 to $40 dollars for admission and waiting in line.

When we arrived (at The Element), there were all these cops there, sophomore Gazeena Soni said. We just took the cab back and went elsewhere.

Sophomore Kavi Sagunarthy, who bought tickets Friday, said though the tickets indicated the party would be held at nightclub 2K9, he was later told that the party was moved to The Element.

A much publicized `official’ Bhangra Blowout party at The Element nightclub became the site of a huge money-making venture for individual promoters, graduate student Priya Joy said. I bought eight tickets for the party and was furious to learn that after waiting in line for two-and-a-half hours, my tickets would not be honored.

Sagunarthy said after arriving at The Element and seeing that police officers did not let people in, he left and went to 2K9, which was charging a $25 cover charge in addition to the tickets.

The funny thing is after anticipating such a hyped-up party for weeks and paying a lot of money for the ticket, the party turned out to be a bust, Sagunarthy said. I’ve had more fun at places that charge a fraction of the ticket price.

While most students said the party ended because of the large attendance, other students reported disputes and rock throwing outside of The Element.

The promoters did not have control of the crowd, said Avni Bhalakia, who served as the co-chair of the weekend’s festivities. Bhalakia said two of the promoters attend GW but declined to identify them.

The promoters who arranged the after-party could not be reached for comment.

Students who purchased tickets have sought to receive a refund of their money.

SAS usually e-mails you about events, sophomore Angeli Desai said. But they haven’t e-mailed about the tickets.

But Mital Desai, another co-chair of Bhangra Blowout, said the SAS did not seek any refunds for members through the organization.

That kind of implies that we feel responsible, and we don’t, Mital Desai said.

According to an e-mail from Priya Joy, a promoter from Dhamaka Productions said the company would make a decision regarding refunds by April 10. She said after pressure from Protix, Dhamaka authorized refunds April 3.

In the end, the party was a major let-down, and I know that I’ll have to rethink going to such a party in the future, Joy said.

Neil Badlani, who served as the master of ceremonies for the show, said the problems of the after-party would not overshadow the work and success of the show at Constitution Hall.

A lot of people came from out of town, and it’s good to hang out in the city regardless of where we ended up, Badlani said. Hopefully next year (the after-party) will end up better.

-Francesca Di Meglio contributed to this report.

The Hatchet has disabled comments on our website. Learn more.