An excerpt from Burned Orange: Tom Penders and 10 Years at the University of Texas

Axtell arrived just before 3 p.m. After the two greeted each other, Penders closed the office door, and Axtell sat in a chair across the desk from Penders. Axtell sat with both his arms and feet crossed, chin to his chest, and eyes firmly fixed on the floor in front of him.

Luke, I’m here. Look at me, Penders began the discussion. I want eye contact. I want to make sure you are understanding this.

Unaware that Axtell had already made his intentions of transferring clear to Dodds in a meeting just two days before, Penders began reading the academic report to Axtell. For the duration of the meeting, Axtell appeared uninterested in what the coach had to say, much less being in his office.

I’m doing alright, Axtell responded at one point. I don’t want to be hassled.

Well, if you keep this up, you’re going to be in big-time trouble, Penders said. At the very least you’re going to have to go to summer school. And I know you don’t want to go to summer school because you told me before you didn’t want to have to deal with summer school.

I’ll catch up, Axtell answered.

You’ve got to do something right away, Penders said. You’ve got this week to get caught up.

Penders continued with several questions regarding the academic report. Why aren’t you going to study hall?

I don’t like study hall, Axtell said, in an acknowledgement of sorts.

You’re not meeting your tutors. You have to go to study hall and you have to meet with your tutors, Penders sternly told him.

I’ve been meeting with them, Axtell said.

Penders was stunned. Not convinced of what he just heard, Penders asked, Are you saying this is a bunch of garbage? This thing I’m reading, that I just read to you?

Yeah, that’s not true, the freshman said.

If you’re lying to me I’m going to suspend you, Penders said in a disciplinarian tone.

Big deal. The season’s over, Axtell fired back.

Although surprised and disappointed in Axtell’s last remarks, Penders was quick to remind him of a similar situation that occurred just a season earlier.

Yeah, the season’s over. Big deal, he said. I suspended and threw off Lamar Wright in September before we ever played a game if you remember. This means get your butt to class.

If you suspend me, what does that mean? Axtell asked, somewhat awakened by the coach’s remarks.

That means you don’t have any team activities, weight training, and you’re suspended from all team duties, Penders informed him.

I don’t want to lift weights anyway, Axtell said defiantly.

Penders had heard enough. He asserted one last time to Axtell that he needed to improve on the student in student-athlete by going to study hall and seeing his tutors. Axtell left.