Trustees to decide coach’s fate

The Board of Trustees met into the wee hours of the morning late Sunday night to discuss the fate of the men’s water polo coach after another disappointing year.

Powerful alumni, working behind the scenes in August of 1999, made their feelings clear to the administration that if the GW program did not shape up and compete on a national level, heads would roll. After the team finished 6-19, The Washington Post called for the resignation of Coach Pot Seed, but he has publicly refused.

I need more time, he was quoted as saying in Sports Illustrated. I need my players, and I need the support of the administration. When I was introduced at the press conference a year ago, I vowed in front of all those cameras to bring this school a national championship, and I’m still gonna’ do it, Goddammit.

But fearing a loss of revenue from merchandise, a lessening of alumni donations and a falling level of prestige for the athletic program and the University, a panicking Board of Trustees called an emergency session this weekend to decide the fate of Coach Seed.

We’re going to look at all the factors, said Trustee Abe Pollen Count before the session. We’re going to ask ourselves, `Is he worth the million-dollar contract?’ And what about that drinking problem? I also hear he yells a lot. Is this the man we want to determine the future of our university?