Comedian tickles the funny bones of students

Laughter roared from the Mount Vernon Hand Chapel Friday night as GW students watched the stand-up routine of comedian Leighann Lord.

Lord, who has appeared on Comedy Central, performed in the marquee event for Women’s History Month.

Much of her material focused on women. She talked about the trials and tribulations of dating, wearing makeup and styling hair. Lord joked she could feel the estrogen energy of the crowd.

I liked the fact that a lot of her material was geared toward women, freshman Ginger Daniel said. I thought those jokes were really hysterical.

Lord’s routine also featured material geared toward college-age students. Students nodded in agreement when she made cracks about the expensive tuition that universities charge.

Don’t you think we should have sales on college education? Lord asked. Buy a master’s and get a Ph.D. for half off.

Her jokes about college bookstores also hit home for many of the students at the show. Lord joked about the high cost of purchasing textbooks but the ridiculously low amount of money students get when they trade their books back.

I especially like performing for the college crowd, Lord said. I really like the energy that young people add to the show.

Lord, who has been a comedian for eight years, said she likes to perform for people who understand her jokes. Many of her jokes had to do with current issues and served as a social commentary.

The illiteracy rate in America is among the highest . Lord said. Why do we spend $25,000 for each prisoner in jail, but only $7,000 for each little kid in school?

Much of her routine also dealt with drug issues, health care and political campaigns.

I really liked the fact that she joked about things that were on a more intellectual level, freshman Becky Salmela said. It seemed as though she really took time to prepare the material rather than just saying a bunch of random stuff.

Lord said she performs mainly to express her artistic and creative side. She said she believes people should be able to do what they want for a living, rather than what everyone else thinks they should do.

I also feel it’s really important for women to feel comfortable in the field of comedy, Lord said. The field is a bit male-dominated, and I think women can really add a lot to it.

Lord ended the hourlong performance by telling the crowd the importance of seeing past stereotypes and find amusement together.

If we can learn to laugh together, we can learn to live together, she said. Stereotypes can prevent us from doing this sometimes.