SA candidates ready for another election

All four candidates in this week’s Student Association run-off elections said they are targeting freshmen and supporters of candidates who did not make the run-off.

One candidate has re-worked his campaign’s focus.

This is now going to be an election about change, presidential candidate David Burt said.

Burt, who said he got his clock cleaned in the first election, said he realized last week the full extent of the competition. Burt said he was shocked by the number of SA members who supported his run-off opponent, Jeff Marootian, during last week’s election. He is increasing efforts to encourage all students to vote before polls close Wednesday, he said. Burt also said he has received the support of former candidate Atif Qarni.

I’m running against the entire Student Association establishment, Burt said. The campus is not ready for what’s going to happen Wednesday.

Marootian said his campaign message will remain the same. He will focus on members of the College Democrats and College Republicans, minority student groups with a vested interest in the SA, friends and freshmen, he said.

Burt said he will focus on freshmen who voted for presidential candidate Abby Lestition and executive vice presidential candidate Pat McLaughlin, graduate students, his core support from the Greek-letter community and students who have never voted in an SA election.

EVP candidate Cathy Resler said she will increase door-to-door campaigning and palmcarding efforts to make sure students know there is an election this week. She said her main voter base includes students with an interest in the SA.

My voters are different, Resler said. My voters are not the people who just decide to vote because they were handed a palmcard.

EVP candidate Chris Voss said he will target Thurston Hall and the Hall on Virginia Avenue this week. He said he hopes to win cross-over votes from last week’s election.

I want to make sure (voters) know they have an option, and that option is me, he said.

Voss’ core voters include students who have worked with him in the past or have been affected by his accomplishments, he said.

All four candidates said the outcomes of the run-off elections will depend on their ability to get students back to the polls Tuesday and Wednesday.