News Briefs

Singles auction raises money for scholarships

The most sought after bachelors and bachelorettes in the D.C. area were auctioned off during a singles auction in the Hippodrome Friday night.

The event, which drew students from five area universities, was sponsored by Latinos for Progress and the Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers.

Men’s lacrosse team players, members of the Alpha Phi Alpha fraternity and basketball players joined members of Latinos for Progress and the Society of Professional Hispanic Engineers to outbid each other in the name of charity.

Executive Chair Silvana Del Carpio said she hopes to create a Latinos for Progress Latino Scholarship Award next year. The award will be the first-ever GW award for Latinos, Del Carpio said.

Felipe Mondragon, a senior at George Mason University, got involved with the auction through the SHPE. Mondragon said he has participated in auctions before, sometimes raising more than $100. Friday’s auction was different from others because it’s not for profit, it’s a fund-raiser for a scholarship, he said.

Students from Howard, American and George Mason universities and the University of Maryland attended the event.

The groups decided to have a second auction because their first auction was successful, raising more than $400, Del Carpio said.

-Shannon Conrad

Elections Committee completes recount

The Student Association Elections Committee completed a re-count of the executive vice president race Saturday, confirming the accuracy of the original count.

There was a four-vote discrepancy on one candidate, and a one- or two- vote discrepancy on other candidates, Jeff Baxter, chair of the Elections Committee, wrote in an e-mail.

We are now even more confident in the accuracy of our previously reported results – one or two votes ain’t bad out of 2,500 ballots, he wrote.

Bone marrow drive to be held this week

The Bone Marrow Center from the National Institutes of Health, The Friends of Allison Organization and the GW Jewish Student Association will sponsor a bone marrow drive Monday in Marvin Center room 403 from noon to 6 p.m.

A blood test determines a person’s bone marrow type and whether it is a match with anyone on the National Bone Marrow Registry. The test takes 10 minutes, and there are no requirements about age and weight.

All members of the community are welcome, and no appointments are necessary.– Theresa Crapanzano