Candidates enter run-offs for top SA spots

Student Association presidential candidates Jeff Marootian and David Burt will participate in a run-off election Tuesday and Wednesday because neither reached the necessary 40 percent threshold, according to SA Election Committee statistics at 5 p.m. last Thursday.

In the presidential race, Marootian garnered the most support with 37.59 percent of the total vote. Burt was behind him with 28.02 percent. Their opponents Abby Lestition, Atif Qarni and David York trailed the two front-runners and are out of the race. Lestition received 18.49 percent of the vote, Qarni received 9.5 percent and York collected 5.6 percent.

Executive vice presidential candidates Chris Voss and Cathy Resler also will participate in a run-off election Tuesday and Wednesday. Resler edged Voss with 30.56 percent of the vote. In the tight race, Voss received 28.64 percent.

Their opponent Pat McLaughlin came in a close third with 27.33 percent of the total vote, and the other executive vice presidential candidate Heather Fink brought in 11.11 percent.

A total of 2,591 students voted in the presidential race, indicating a higher voter turnout than last year.

Jeff Baxter, chair of the SA Election Committee, said he believes the committee will be able to return results at a decent hour early Thursday morning. In the races last week, it took the five-person committee 21 hours to tally the results from all the ballots. Baxter said the process will take significantly less time because the Committee will only have to tally two races with only two candidates for each position, and no write-ins will be counted.

Baxter said the counting process for the run-off election will be open to a limited number of observers. There will also be a party in either J Street or the Hippodrome for those waiting for results.

– Theresa Crapanzano contributed to this report.