The Kennedy Center celebrates Millennium Stage’s anniversary

It began with a simple concept – performing arts for everyone. That one idea gave birth to The Kennedy Center’s Millennium Stage, which offers free performances every day at 6 p.m..

On March 1, The Kennedy Center will celebrate the third anniversary of the Millennium Stage with the Grammy Award-winning Big Bad Voodoo Daddy as well as the western swing band Hot Club of Cowtown.

As with every anniversary, it is a time to celebrate accomplishments. Since the opening night, March 1, 1997, the Millennium Stage has featured 12,200 performers, including Judy Collins, Don McLean and Leonard Slatkin and the National Symphony Orchestra. Each of the 50 states has been represented by an artist, and 8,400 performers from the Washington, D.C., area have appeared on the Millennium Stage.

The first series of the Millennium Stage’s fourth year is Capitals of American Music, which will focus on cities that have impacted the music scene in America. The first performance in the series will take place on the stage’s anniversary when the Hot Club of Cowtown performs, representing Austin, Texas. Austin is touted as the live music capital of the world and has influenced American and Tejano musical styles.

Another series that will take place this year is The Embassy Series, focusing on Japan and Ireland. Musical performers from Japan will take the stage during the Cherry Blossom Festival beginning March 26. Ireland will be featured in Island: the Arts of Ireland, a festival that will take place during May. However, preview performances will take place on the Millennium Stage March 16 and 17.

The Millennium Stage is the perfect way to enjoy performing arts from all over the world in The Kennedy Center’s beautiful setting for free. Performances are given on the Millennium Stage seven days a week and begin at 6 p.m.

For more information about The Kennedy Center and the Millennium Stage, visit www.kennedy-center.org.