Marootian for president – staff editorial

In terms of credentials and platforms two candidates for Student Association President are in a virtual dead heat. Jeff Marootian, with a strong record in community affairs and dedication to student advocacy, edges David Burt by a nose as the top candidate for SA President.

Marootian – SA vice president for Community Affairs, member of the Faculty Senate Committee for Urban Affairs, and Colonial Inauguration co-coordinator – cares about the GW community. His experience makes his theme of unity – on-campus, in the SA and in the Foggy Bottom neighborhood – seem attainable.

An important element of Marootian’s appeal is his professional, mutually respectful relationship with the University administration. Marootian can use his closeness with administrators to achieve the goals stated in his platform, which include smaller class sizes and improved academic advising.

David Burt looks to make the SA more representative of the GW community. His leadership experience includes a term as SA Finance chair, SA director of Greek Affairs and president of Alpha Phi Alpha fraternity. Burt focuses on reforming the SA’s funding process and cutting wasteful spending, goals he would likely achieve.

Three other candidates possess qualities worthy of the SA’s highest office. A volunteer coordinator at Miriam’s Kitchen, vice president of the International Student Society and a corporal in the U.S. Marine Corps Reserves, Atif Qarni has proven leadership ability. A relative outsider, Abby Lestition wants to make the SA more inclusive, ridding the body of its internal wrangling. David York’s platform cogently highlights the need for technological innovation in the SA, goals he could achieve in another capacity if not elected.

Ultimately, Jeff Marootian and David Burt both make excellent presidential candidates. As an individual who has shown deep devotion to serving the GW community, Marootian is the top candidate for SA president.