Colonials sweep weekend

The Colonials gymnastics squad continued to send the competition tumbling this past weekend with strong performances over James Madison University at the Smith Center Friday and at Mackal Field House in Kingston, R.I., Sunday over Rhode Island.

The Colonials will go to Kentucky Saturday night to match up with the University of Florida and Central Michigan University.

GW 194.900, Rhode Island 193.700
Sunday, Feb. 27

Rhode Island recorded the second-highest score in URI history but couldn’t overcome sophomore Devin McCalla and the red-hot Colonials.

The Rams set a school record in the vault, but GW’s Devin McCalla won the bars (9.900) en route to an all-around first-place finish. Her 39.225 total topped junior Darden Wilee (third with 38.850) and sophomore Jessica Mantak (fourth with 38.325).

Senior captain Erica Lewy took the floor exercise with a 9.875.

GW 193.375, James Madison 191.350
Friday, Feb. 25

McCalla took another all-around competition Friday with a 39.150 score at the Smith Center. In beating James Madison, the Colonials had the top three all-around scores.

Mantak notched a personal-best in the all-around with a 38.650. She finished first on the balance beam with a 9.750.

Darden Wilee finished third in the all-around with a 38.275 and second in the vault with a 9.700.

Sophomore Kelley Banks and junior Stephanie Goldsmith also had good nights for GW. Banks had a second-place finish on the uneven parallel bars with a 9.750, while Goldsmith finished fourth in the floor exercise with a 9.775.

-David Holt