It’s James Madison in a landslide, 13-5

A day after President’s Day, James Madison University routed GW’s baseball team 13-5 Tuesday afternoon in Harrisonburg, Va. – sending the Colonials to a 1-6 record.

The start is the Colonials’ worst since 1997, when GW opened 1-11. The Colonials have opened in similar fashion the last seven seasons.

Tuesday’s loss to JMU (6-2) came early, as the Dukes led 9-0 before GW scored in the sixth when junior designated hitter Adam Belicic hit a three-run homer. The Dukes went on to lead 11-3 before GW scored two in the eighth.

GW sophomore pitcher Chris North fell to 0-3 on the year. Coach Tom Walter identified GW’s pitching as the main weakness for the Colonials right now. The Colonials issued nine walks Tuesday.

We just haven’t been throwing strikes, he said Wednesday. If you don’t throw strikes, and you give up bases on balls, you’re gonna get hurt. I think that’s been about the most frustrating thing for me.

Despite the record, Walter said he’s seen some positives in this young season.

I think we’re just getting out the kinks, he said. I’ve been real pleased with the team at times. I think we’re going to have a real good team when it’s all said and done.

GW will open its home season Saturday with a doubleheader vs. Le Moyne College of Syracuse, N.Y. The series will finish Sunday afternoon.