Wolf hungry for George Washington wins

So just what is CNN anchor Wolf Blitzer doing at GW men’s basketball games, anyway?

I love the Colonials, and I’ve been a big fan, he said at halftime of the Rhode Island game Saturday. I wish we had a better record, but it’s great. They’re still fun to watch.

I like all the players. They’re all hard-working good kids, and I like all of them. I wish I could come to more games.

Blitzer, whose seat is right in the middle of the last row in the bottom bowl (not too far from `Red’ Auerbach) estimates he’s been a fixture at as many GW games as he can attend for about eight years. Friendly with Vice President of Student and Academic Support Services Robert Chernak, Blitzer started attending games so their young daughters, who were friends, could watch the cheerleaders. Blitzer became hooked.

I like the Smith Center, he said. It’s nice and cozy.

Blitzer also attends Georgetown games, but he’s quick to point out that GW has had more success in recent years.

Just like any good Colonials fan, he has that one particular game he remembers – the game where he was only the second-most famous fan in attendance.

I think one of the best games I ever saw was UMass when they were No. 1 and President Clinton and Chelsea were here, and we won, he said.

Blitzer doesn’t make as many games as he’d like, but he said he will try to make Temple March 4.

If I’m in town, I do it, he said. The New York and California primaries are at about the same time as the Temple game, but I’ll most certainly try.