Students create Web site featuring nightlife options in major U.S. cities

Two GW students created a Web site for students too bogged down with work to know where to go on the weekend.

Juniors Jafwant and Rajvindra Gill created and co-manage a Web site that offers information on nightlife in various cities nationwide.

We call it a complete, online nightlife solution, Jafwant Gill said.

Clubmadness.com is an online entertainment guide that offers free services and information about the nightlife experience in D.C. and other major U.S. cities, the co-founders said.

The brothers, who are identical twins and are both double majoring in finance and information technology, started the Web site in July 1999. The Web site began its humble operations in three major cities, including D.C., New York and their hometown, Houston.

We started at GW because we’re students here, and we wanted to tap into the nightlife experience, Rajvindra said. We also wanted to establish a site that provides free entertainment information to university students and young adult professionals.

Now, six months later, the Web site expanded to most major cities in the United States. The site offers entertainment information about Miami, Boston, Atlanta, Seattle, Las Vegas and San Francisco.

Rajvindra and Jafwant each spend 30 hours a week maintaining the Web site, updating it almost daily. Two students from the School of Visual Arts in New York are responsible for the site’s design and technical make-up.

The site, which specifically targets university students in the area, appeals to people 18 to 25 years old. The Web site yields about 300,000 hits a month, the brothers said.

The brothers expanded the service to Tokyo and Amsterdam because of the site’s popularity, they said.

The Web site provides discounts on cover charges and drinks in a variety of area clubs, a place to join VIP lists, get free CDs, movie passes and concert tickets each week. The brothers said they offer these services because most students have little spending money.

One random winner last week was a GW student.

I filled out a form and clicked onto my music preference, senior Abhay Kholi said. About two weeks later, I received an e-mail notice that said I won a Bunjabi music CD.

Internet surfers can sign up for free weekly e-mails that notify them of upcoming events and parties.

Junior Myrvet Cocoli said she received weekly e-mail notices since September.

It was really useful over winter break when my friends from college came here, Myrvet said. We wanted to check out Latin music, so I read reviews on some Latin clubs that club-goers posted online and find information on location, cover charges and their DJs.

Links to major cities, up-to-date weather, maps and chat rooms are also available.

We really did this for the students, Jafwant said. The site’s not limited to clubs and bars, but a variety of nightlife activities in the city, like museums, plays and cultural events.