Stepping forward — Staff Editorial

In a spirited show of reverence to black history, GW’s Nu Beta chapter of Alpha Phi Alpha fraternity hosted a step show at Lisner Auditorium Saturday, which featured historically black fraternities and sororities from around the Washington, D.C., area.

For the third year in a row, Greek-letter organizations from a variety of universities gathered to celebrate – through the art of step – the interwoven legacies of black culture and Greek-letter life. In front of a packed audience, performers paid homage to the originators of step, enslaved Africans in early 18th-century America, and such modern black figures as Marcus Garvey, the controversial leader of the Back to Africa Movement.

The performance raised about $1,500, which Alpha Phi Alpha will give to a high school senior in the form of a scholarship. The principles of Alpha Phi Alpha – manly deeds, scholarship and love of all mankind – befitted the exhibition.

The step show wasn’t just a showcase of black talent. Hispanic Greek-letter organizations, whose ancestry is often intertwined with that of blacks, also performed in the show, an example of the overwhelmingly inclusive nature of the event.

Step squads from all around the metropolitan area, including the University of Maryland, Georgetown and American universities and America’s premier historically black college, Howard University, came together at Lisner Auditorium, which attests to the immense amount of time and energy put forth by GW’s Alpha Phi Alpha.

Each year, Alpha Phi Alpha fraternity brings a quality product to the University, offering the opportunity for members of the GW community to experience the art of step, a breathtaking manifestation of hundreds of years of black culture.

Since February is Black History Month, students of all races and ethnicities should reflect upon the rich legacy of blacks. In hosting this weekend’s step show, GW’s Alpha Phi Alpha fraternity made black history lively, interactive and accessible to all GW students.

Email your letter to the editor!