Colonial swimmers finish fourth at A-10s

Both the men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams took fourth place at the Atlantic 10 Swimming and Diving Championships this weekend at the Flickinger Aquatic Center (Buffalo, N.Y.).

The men finished with 523 points, behind Massachusetts (544.5 points), St. Bonaventure (613.5 points) and Virginia Tech, which won the meet with 729.5 points. The GW women also finished fourth with 405 points behind UMass (461 points), St. Bonaventure (649 points) and Virginia Tech, which won with 940 points.

On the men’s side, senior Tim Champney won both the 100-meter backstroke and the 200 backstroke, picking up an Olympic Trial qualifying time of 1:47.77 for the event. Senior David Simonetti took first place in the 100 butterfly with a time of 49.38 seconds. Teammate Juan Bocanegra took second place, finishing milliseconds behind Simonetti with a time of 49.53. Both qualified for Senior Nationals in the event. The men tied for first in the 200 medley relay with St. Bonaventure (1:32.35).

On the women’s side, sophomore Nell Friar won the 100 breaststroke with a time of 1:05.41.

Swimmers making the All-Championship Team were Bocanegra, Champney, Simonetti, Richard DeWet, Alvaro Fortuny, Nick Hopman and Friar.