Baseball swept at ECU

The Colonials fell to a record of 1-5 after being swept by East Carolina this weekend at Harrington Field in Greenville, N.C.

The host Pirates (6-1) pulled off the three-game sweep with a game-winning single in the bottom of the ninth inning to win 4-3. The Colonials were competitive, but finished on the short-end of a 3-0 loss Friday and an 11-9 slugfest Saturday.

GW senior Matt Walker led the Colonials with five hits and four RBIs while teammate Mike Bassett contributed four hits and four RBIs.

The Colonials return to action Tuesday when they travel to James Madison University.

ECU 4, GW 3
Sunday, Feb. 20

ECU’s James Molinari hit the game-winning single up the middle in the bottom of the ninth inning to complete the Pirates’ 4-3 comeback victory and sweep of GW Sunday.

After five scoreless innings, the Colonials jumped ahead in the top of the sixth, scoring three runs off Pirates starter Sam Narron. GW’s Dan Rouhier doubled in Eric Mitchell, and Bassett hit a two-run double to give the Colonials a 3-0 lead. The lead was cut to 3-1 in the bottom of the inning, and ECU scored twice in the eighth to set up the dramatic finish.

Freshman Greg Condon pitched seven innings for GW, giving up three runs on five hits while striking out three. Junior Bryan Beggs walked three batters and suffered the loss after relieving Condon in the eighth.

ECU 11, GW 9
Saturday, Feb. 19

Walker’s first home run of the season was not enough to lead GW to victory as the Colonials fell to the Pirates 11-9 Saturday.

Walker went 3-for-5 with four RBIs, including a two-run homerun in the first inning off ECU starter Jeremy Schumacher. That lead was short-lived, however, as the Pirates rallied for seven runs in the bottom of the second to take a commanding lead. GW cut the lead to 7-5 in the third before Schumacher settled down.

ECU added a run in the fifth off GW starter Adam Belicic as junior catcher Cliff Goodwin (3-for-4, 4 RBI) hit his first homer of the season. The Pirates added two more in the seventh and finished their scoring in the eighth as sophomore Lee Delfino hit a solo home run, his second homer in as many days, off freshman Dennis Gramolini.

GW rallied for four runs in the ninth but it was too little, too late, as ECU’s Cory Scott came on to get his first save of the season.

ECU 3, GW 0
Friday, Feb. 18

ECU freshman Scott Greene tossed a two-hit complete game shutout to lead the Pirates to a 3-0 victory over GW in Friday’s opener.

Greene needed only 81 pitches to finish off the Colonials as he struck out four and walked none. Only 28 GW batters, one more than the minimum, came to the plate.

ECU got all the offense it needed in the second inning off GW starter Chris Worth. With one out, Delfino hit a solo home run to left-centerfield to open the scoring. The Pirates added two more runs in the inning on a single and a sacrifice fly.

Worth took the loss for GW, allowing three runs and six hits over six innings. Walker and Rouhier accounted for the Colonials’ two hits, both singles.