Before the New Year:- Clean the entire home to get rid of all the things that are associated with the old year.
– Put away all brooms and brushes.
– Pay all debts.
– Resolve differences with family members, friends, neighbors and business associates.
– Get new dollar bills from the bank. Insert the new dollar bills into the red envelopes as a special gift for the children.
On New Year’s Eve:
– Get together with close family members (not including married daughters and their families) for the reunion dinner.
– Pay respect to ancestors and household gods. Acknowledge the presence of ancestors because they are responsible for the fortunes of future generations.
– Open every door and window in your home at midnight to let go of the old year.
On New Year’s Day:
– Decorate your home with symbols of good fortune. Here are some suggestions:
– Colors: Bright red (happiness); gold/orange (wealth/happiness)
– Fruits: Oranges and tangerines (good health and long life); tangerines with leaves intact (long-lasting relationships; being fruitful and multiplying); persimmons (happiness and wealth)
– A circular candy tray (candy for sweet and circular for togetherness and continuity)
– Flowers: If flowers bloom on New Year’s Day, it will be a prosperous New Year
– Red banners or couplets with New Year wishes and symbols of good fortune in gold