Colonials open 1-2 at Stetson

The GW baseball team opened its season by losing two of three to host Stetson University at Melching Field at Conrad Park in DeLand, Fla., this weekend.

The Colonials avoided a sweep by winning the last game, 12-6.

GW head coach Tom Walter had said that the Stetson series would be important as a confidence builder. The Colonials came out rusty on offense and left a large number of runners on base in the three-game set.

GW will continue its early season travels through the South with a series at East Carolina University next weekend.

GW 12, Stetson 6
Sunday, February 13

Walter predicted he would have a powerful offensive lineup, and his forecast rang true Sunday as GW doubled up Stetson, 12-6.

The Colonials’ 19 hits helped them avoid an opening-series sweep. GW was led by transfer Matt Walker, who went 4-for-5 with three RBIs. Senior Ryan Dacey had a perfect day at the plate, going 5-for-5 with five singles.

GW scored early, something it had not done in the previous two games. In the top of the third inning, Walker hit a two-run double, but Stetson (4-2) answered in the fourth with two runs of its own.

GW took control in the fifth as Stetson pitcher Charles Aulet gave up three runs. Sophomore Matt Krimmel hit a solo home run in the inning.

Stetson 15, GW 8
Saturday, February, 12

GW began its second game of the season with strength. But by game’s end, the Colonials were handed their second consecutive loss, a 15-8 pounding at the hands of Stetson.

A couple of late innings got away from GW, and Stetson finished with 15 runs on 20 hits.

The game started well for GW. Sophomore pitcher Chris Worth led his team into the sixth with a 5-2 lead.

Stetson then scored eight times in the bottom of the sixth inning. Stetson’s Jason Shipley hit a three-run double, and Frank Corr hit his third home run of the year. Worth was charged for six earned runs.

Worth’s replacement, freshman Dennis Gramolini, faced six batters and gave up four runs. Steston scored four more in the seventh inning and one more in the eighth.

GW’s strongest offensive inning came in the top of the fifth inning when junior Dan Rouhier hit a two-run double to lead a five-run inning.

Stetson 9, GW 2
Friday, February 11

GW’s first game of the season started out as a pitching duel as GW opened with its ace, junior Adam Belicic. Stetson threw Lonny Dinardo, one of the best pitchers in the nation.

In the end, Dinardo struck out 13 batters over an eight-inning span en route to a 9-2 victory over GW. Dinardo gave up four hits and only one earned run in the game.

Belicic was replaced in the bottom of the sixth after surrendering only two hits.

Three of GW’s heavy hitters – Matt Krimmel, Matt Walker and Mike Bassett – combined for two hits and five strikeouts.