News Brief

Students at GW say they feel the standard of academics at the University is deficient, according to statistics from the Student Association.

The 1999-2000 Student Budgetary Priorities complied by the SA includes the organization’s top five issues based on a survey of more than 200 students.

Nearly 50 percent of students surveyed indicated they felt delinquent academic standards and facilities should be the school’s top budgetary concerns.

This is an academic institution, but academics don’t really seem to be a priority on this campus, one student said in the report.

Other concerns from students were lack of need- and merit-based financial aid, inadequate and overcrowded library facilities, overcrowded and closed-out classes and poor academic technology.

The results are pretty obvious that students think that academics are a major concern, SA President Caity Leu said. I think it’s something the University needs to focus on, and they need to remember we’re here primarily as students to get an education and a diploma. Everything else is nice, but our primary reason to be here is as students.

The budgetary priorities will be presented to the Board of Trustees and administration officials, Leu said.

-Ashley M. Heher