GW appoints former senator as educator

Former ambassador and Sen. James Sasser (D-Tenn.) was named the J.B. and Maurice C. Shapiro Professor for the Elliott School of International Affairs Monday.

ESIA Dean Harry Harding said the Shapiro Professorship brings two sets of responsibilities – to teach and to present a major public lecture.

The idea is to bring someone with high visibility and stature to the Elliott School, Harding said.

The original appointment normally runs for one year, but could run for as long as two, Harding said.

(The Shapiro Professor) brings to the classroom direct experience.which is a big plus for our program, he said.

Sasser recently stepped down from his position as U.S. ambassador to China, which he held since 1996. Before that position he served three terms as a U.S. senator from Tennessee, during which he chaired the Senate Budget Committee and the Senate Appropriations and Banking subcommittees. Sasser also was a fellow at the Institute of Politics of Harvard’s John F. Kennedy School of Government.

Sasser received an undergraduate degree and a law degree from Vanderbilt University.

According to a University press release, Sasser will teach two courses each semester. This semester, Sasser will co-teach a graduate capstone with Harding and a graduate seminar with Professor David Shambaugh. Both classes will focus on U.S.-China relations.

Sasser is scheduled to deliver the annual Shapiro lecture in the fall, Harding said.

(The lecture) will further symbolize that we are one of the major centers for East Asian Studies, Harding said.

We are also hoping to use his contacts, Harding said. He said he hopes Sasser will be able to bring in other prominent figures in international affairs.

GW President Stephen Joel Trachtenberg said he was the cheerleader as the ESIA tried to convince Sasser to serve GW.

This is a wonderful appointment.and I think that those who come in contact with him in the classroom will greatly benefit, Trachtenberg said.

Past Shapiro Professors have included Congressman Steve Solarz and William Crowe, the former ambassador to Great Britain. All previous professors are still active with the Elliott School, Harding said.

We see this as an ongoing relationship, even though the most intensive time is in residence, Harding said.